20 September 2018
Home » FAQs  

Descriptions of Massage Therapies

I am moving to the UK and wish to work as a Massage Practitioner. What should I do to have my training recognised and begin work?

  • Contact a professional association with a view to becoming a member
  • The professional association will be able to accredit your training providing it meets current standards (your documents will be required in English)
  • The professional associations will source suitable insurance for you, one of many provisions made for members
  • Contact the Local Authority as you maybe need to be licenced in that area. Some professional associations have waivers for their members.

What form of regulation exists for Massage Therapy in the UK?

  • The Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC) is the regulatory body for Massage Therapies and other complementary therapies in the UK.
  • This is a voluntary system, supported by the Department of Health, which has recommended the NHS source complementary therapists from the CNHC register
  • For further information about regulation and the regulatory register, visit the CNHC website

How do GCMT, professional associations and CNHC work together?

  • GCMT is the governing body for massage and soft tissue therapies, setting the standards for the profession
  • Professional Associations support the therapist as an individual and promotes GCMT Standards throughout their organisations
  • CNHC protects the public by regulating massage therapists and other complementary therapists


I want to train as a Massage Practitioner. Where do I start looking for training?

There are large numbers of schools and training providers teaching massage therapies. To ensure the training offered meets current standards, it is advisable to compare curricula on offer with the GCMT Standards

Copyright 2013 GCMT   |  Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use